Thursday, October 21, 2010

October



I love autumn. It is the colors, the mix of warm sunny days and cool nights, the challenge of finding just the right mix of layers to wear, re-discovering the knits in the closet and an excuse to wear them without looking odd.

I'm a knitter so I have quite a few knit items. The socks can be worn year round. Yes, wool socks can be quite comfortable in summer. If it is really hot and muggy then the wool-bamboo socks are worn. Really, it is a lot more comfortable than wearing synthetic socks and cotton socks just end up either damp or trying to give me a blister.

Last weekend was the Southern Indiana FiberArts Festival in lovely historic Corydon, Indiana. It was a perfect sunny autumn day. After visiting all the booths, making some purchases and talking to vendors with rabbits (love the American Chinchilla rabbits) we headed into Corydon proper to enjoy a late lunch. After lunch we stopped in the local fruit market -- which is huge! It looks like an old grocery store converted into a fruit and vegetable market, but perhaps it has just grown over the years. Walking into the building you are welcomed by the rich scent of apples in all their glory. The wonderful display of Empire apples was a delight for the eyes with their deep, rich red color and I have been enjoying my all too limited purchase.

I do like apples but most apples in stores are too large. I use to share apples with my dog Boggles - he preferred sweet Galas -- but alas he is no longer with me. I mentioned in my September post that Boggles is gone. I confess that still think of him everyday and cry a little. His death has made me a bit emotionally sensitive, which is an odd state for me. His death like his life has taught me many things.

Thankfully to help divert me from falling into a depressed state it has been a good time to explore tech. Not quite sure about ebook readers, the Kindle3 has been a very pleasant surprise. It is light and small enough to carry easily. The size is PERFECT and the screen is very easy on the eyes. The adjustable font size is a blessing to tired or aging eyes. The biggest surprise was the Internet access with no monthly fee. Of course the true pleasure is in the reading. I find myself reading more intently because it is such a pleasure to read on this fantastically simple and elegant device. I still search the book sales and bargain bins but often check the Kindle price to weigh the pros and cons of the purchase. One purchase I will gladly make again are J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series if they are ever released for ebook readers. Listening to the audiobook version has been a comfort in recent weeks, but it would be nice to actually read them again.

I am currently enjoying the book Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon--And the Journey of a Generation on my Kindle. Find a copy and start reading.

1 comment:

Barbara Bretton said...

Finally! I've been recommending GIRLS LIKE US for months and wishing someone else would read it and love it as much as I do. Joni isn't quite the way I imagined her but Carole and Carly are very much who I thought they'd be. Are you a biography/memoir enthusiast too? I have lots of recs if you're interested.