I read the book years ago from the local library. I liked it so much that I bought a copy. The topic is one that doesn't appeal to a wide audience. So I was surprised during a TV interview when Steve Martin mentioned that he had finished filming the movie version of The Big Year. When he explained that the title is about a bird watching event he quickly lost the interviewer's interest. Not unexpected for those not familiar of the topic or the book.
However the film is about personal likes and setting a goal around those likes. Not unusual for one pursuing an athletic, musicial or artistic endeavor. But mention one that involves nature in detail and people often become bored or incredulous - wondering why anyone would make such a pursuit. But the film captures this in a warm and lightly amusing manner by displaying to us a human story. Sorry, I should say stories -- of those both directly involved and supporting.
This is a film worth watching.
No comments:
Post a Comment