I fell in love with Flipboard using my mother's iPad -- actually showing her some fun things to try. Sadly it was not available for Android for months, but as soon as it was announced I downloaded it to my phone Kindle Fire tablet. Wonderful! News and photos customized to topics that interest me and updated regularly. It also integrates with Pocket (formerly Read It Later) to read full articles later. If you are an Instapaper user it works with that too.
Reading the recent The Panopticon post he mentioned another knitter (Jean). I went to her blog and she mentioned Zite. Intrigued I checked it out. While Flipboard is visually beautiful, Zite appears to be more oriented to a reader. Both are "customized personal magazines" which combine content from websites but Zite learns your preferences based on articles you mark and suggests new articles. So I am now intrigued with Zite but this funny blog post describes well that both will probably be used. [Note: both Flipboard and Zite apps are available in iTunes and the Google Play store]
The Kindle Fire doesn't get used much now since the purchase of the Nexus 7 (N7) tablet. The Kindle Fire taught me that the 7-inch tablet size works great for me. However, I needed complete access to the Android ecosystem and that makes the N7 a better device for work and personal use. Storage is no longer a limitation due to an app and a little on-the-go (OTG) cable allows me to connect any USB drive, card reader and potentially some external portable drives.
However I must confess that the Nexus 7 Mobile is very tempting because WiFi is not always available. Yes, I am a geek girl.
Links:
No comments:
Post a Comment