Monday, January 2, 2017

2016 in Review

The year 2016 was mostly a blur due to work and health events (knee surgery: mine/minor and my mother's/major). In looking over Goodreads and Ravelry it does appear that I did manage a few things.

READING

Goodreads recorded that I read 96 books this year. Most were for relaxation but there were 12 that made an impression.
  1. Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow (audio)
    • This is long book (and audiobooks takes longer to "read") but well worth the effort. I started this book in early 2016. The musical Hamilton was getting a lot of mentions in the press. It was a toss-up of reading this or Hamilton (same author) but I decided on Washington because I knew so little of the first American president. So glad I chose Washington. However, due to the way he treated Washington, it has made me reluctant to read Hamilton for a while.
  2. The Big Short by Michael Lewis (audio)
    • This one brought back memories. The politics of the financial world had not made sense for quite a while and many of us were concerned about the all too easy credit being offered. It collapsed while I was on my first big vacation, a transatlantic relocation cruise. Other passengers were frantic because they could not get news updates about the financial implosion. This book deserves a re-read.
  3. Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed (audio)
    • Don't recall how I heard of this book but it was a surprising read resulting in aha moments in self-reflection and helping to understand others and the choices made/not made.
  4. As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes
    • A pure delight. After reading more serious and occasionally dark fare (1, 2, and 8) this book was as welcome as a warm breeze on a sunny spring/autumn day.
  5. Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man by William Shatner (audio)
    • The retrospective of the early days (childhood and building a career) was very interesting. The work ethic and family/community ties of the time period very different from today but reflects what I saw in my older relatives. A peek at the early days of television and how it changed acting, business and society. It is also the story of a craftsman (Nimoy) compared to a worker (Shatner). Both have their place but it often takes much longer for a craftsman to be recognized because of the refinement work is often done quietly in the background and then looks easy and natural to those who only see the end result.
  6. Find the Good: Unexpected Life Lessons From a Small-Town Obituary Writer by Heather Lende
    • Read early in the year so don't recall details now. However, this writer reminds me of the trip I made to Alaska. I wonder if she was the driver/guide when our group went to the Kroschel Wildlife Refuge. In any case, she reminds me of the time briefly spent in Haines, Alaska and the spirit of the place.
  7. The Martian by Andy Weir (audio)
    • Tried to read this ebook in 2014 but couldn't quite get into it. After viewing the movie the technical portion made more sense. I just needed a visual clue for something I could not imagine. This book reminded me of the joys and satisfaction of applied science.
  8. In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick (audio)
    • A sad heart-wrenching read of a lifestyle so different than anything present today. A non-romanticized description of the whaling industry and the impact on people's lives and society at the time.
  9. Granchester by James Runcie
    • Love the writing style. Quotable.
  10. Only One Life by Sara Blaedel
    • A novel of a crime involving immigrants and society today. Thought-provoking and timely.
  11. The Moment of Everything by Shelly King
    • This is quickly becoming a snapshot of a changing period of time just after the Internet tech explosion using it as the background of the story. The real story is about the love of books. 
  12. The Memory of Things by Gae Polisner
    • A young-adult 9/11 story that takes you back to those days of uncertainty.
 Currently listening to and thoroughly enjoying it. This will definitely make my 2017 best list:
§  Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

KNITTING

Finished 26 knit projects this year. Socks were the main category (8 pairs) and often given as gifts. Just began a 2nd sock so it will be the first completed in 2017. Expect to knit more in 2017 (in order to maintain sanity in what will be a challenging year). 😊

Knitting is what can help regain a sense of calm in the quiet repetitive task of moving stitches and creating a product. By contrast, when I no longer feel like knitting (or reading) it is my proverbial "canary in the coal mine" telling me that something is very wrong.

Haven't decide yet on goals for 2017. Generally I don't set goals but judging from the size of my yarn stash it sounds like a good idea to set some goals. It make be to make a certain number of projects, types of projects or clearing things out. Will need to think about this.






No comments: