Saturday, June 6, 2009

Hoosier Hills 2009 Review


As a knitter I enjoy going to fiber events. This is the 5th year of the Hoosier Hills Fiber Event and it just keeps getting better. Even if you are not a knitter it is a great place to find all types of artistic creations and inspiration from all of the colors and textures.

Kudos to the organizers! This was an amazing and wonderful event. The weather cooperated and it was picture perfect. Although those who attended last year were amused to see the "I survived the 2008 flood" t-shirts (not the exact quote but close enough).

Three barns full of a wonderful collection of vendors and a few tents outside. We saw the return of some familar favorites and delighted to see some new vendors.The variety and quality was astounding. While only a couple yarn shops were represented, there were lots of local and other vendors. I talked to one of the organizers and she said there were vendors from Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, South Carolina, and Arizona. Some of the vendors graciously allowed me to take photos (I only take booth photos with the vendor's permission).

I went with a friend on Saturday morning. We arrive at 9am and were there for 5 hours! Actually I could have easily spent more time.I'm pretty sure that I still missed some booths. The event was that large.

Some of my personal favorites (in no particular order):
* Mohair in Motion - returning again and always a delight
* Trading Post - Pendleton, IN shop (Susan shared some of her great cookies - yum!) - always a favorite booth
* Fantail Fibres - returning again with her great New Zealand yarns
* Frontier Fiber Mill - I just love alpaca yarns (see photo)
* Misty Morning Alpacas - told you that I love alpaca yarn (Indiana vendor)
* Aquae Sulis - love that margarita soap scent (Indiana vendor)
* Creatively Dyed - glad to see you back again. So hard to choose.....
* Family Matters Farm - (new vendor) Did you see the cute animal shaped soaps?
* Ugly Stepsisters Designs - stitchmarkers and more
* That Old Blue House - wonderful handcrafted jewelry made with lace, quilts, and antique postcards (new vendor)
* Ryan's Way - did you see her rugs made from crochet roving? Makes me want to try
* Bedford School of Lace Making - talked to the vendor about a future workshop (more in another post)
* Coloratura Yarns - great skeins where they have already combined a mixture of yarns large enough to make a single project (sweater, etc) - great for those who like to make the Mystery Sweater by purchasing just one skein of yarn
* The Rosefield - I love her buttons/pins with all the funny sayings - bought several
* (organically dyed yarns) - I regret that I didn't pick up a card and can't remember her name. She is in the photo. Please someone help me out here.
* Carriage House - bought multi-color cashmere blend on sale
* Susan's Fiber Shop - always has a great selection of knitting books (I bought 2). For the needle felters out there - did you see the great needle felting power tool?
* Katie Fleck Designs - new vendor with beautiful fabric needle cases and accessories
* Debra Woodings (Indiana vendor) Always has a great selection of beads. I bought the cute typewriter bracelet kit.
* Robin J. Edmundson - great selection of yarns but I bought some lovely agate-like heart-shaped stitchmarkers





No comments: