Saturday, August 15, 2009

Summer Fun

It has been a great summer - not too hot, not too wet.

I haven't done anything special, but I have been trying new things. First was creating this blog. I joined a Tai Chi class. Then joining Facebook. I confess that I don't really understand the excitement over Facebook and twitter. It just seems like disjointed chatter. However, Facebook has enabled me to connect with some high school friends (from a L-O-N-G time ago) and relatives.

I did see a good example of twitter when reading the posts online for Sock Summit. Ravelry has put together a collection of some of the twitter posts.

Sock Summit 2009 was in Portland, Oregon (August 6-9) and was the first of its kind event. There were 1,800 persons enrolled in a class and many more attended for the market and social activities. The instructor/speaker list was a who's who of the knitting world. Nearly every person who posted on Ravelry, their blog, or twitter were absolutely awestruck to see, meet, or talk to Barbara Walker. She is a legend (think Springstein-like fame) in the knitting world. But the posters were also generous in their praise for all the instructors, vendors, and other attendees. It was a huge and very special event -- and I so wanted to be there.

But while they were having fun in Oregon I was working. I did manage to finish my Mini Mochi Shawl, knit a couple berets, and start on a couple more projects.

Since summer will be over all too soon I am beginning to look forward to winter which involves indoor activities like puzzles and board games. This recent post on Digg.com linked to a post about board games. It's a quick and funny read about 8 Classic board games that destroy friendship. It was a funny read especially if you read the comments people left about their own experiences.

The list in the article is in descending order:
8. Mouse Trap
7. Cranium
6. Battleship
5. Risk
4. Monopoly
3. Scrabble
2. Candyland
1. Checkers

So which ones would you vote for? Would you add any other classic board game to the list?

P.S. I would vote for Monopoly and Scrabble, but would add the game Sorry to replace MouseTrap. I haven't played Cranium or Risk.

No comments: