Sunday, May 25, 2014

Travel 2014

It has been a long time since I have posted anything. Most of the things in my life are not interesting to post. I get up, I work, I come home and start all over the next day. The typical American syndrome of "living to work". Some are more fortunate and have found a way to "work to live" but all too many of us spend more time working. Some out of necessity, but others because that is just what we do.

After the past couple of years it was time to take a vacation. Took a week off and traveled across western Canada. The town of Banff in Alberta is lovely and it was a good time of year to visit. It had just enough tourists to make it interesting but not crowded or noisy. Then it was off for 2 days on the Rocky Mountaineer train where they know how to pamper their guests. Despite the scenery I just could not relax. Still too tense from work.

So here are a few photos.
Banff, Alberta (Canada) in the early morning

Banff, Alberta - actually the evening before
View from Sulfur Mountain near Banff (take the Gondala Ride up and walk around)
Snow at the top of Sulfur Mountain (and other mountains)
It had been a long cold winter in Banff as well and they had more snow over the weekend. The temperatures were just beginning to be comfortable (40-60 F). I loved it but did wish I had one of my knitted scarves.

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel (my hotel was more modest)

Lake Louise, Alberta Canada
Moraine Lake road was closed due to avalanche danger but was able to go to Lake Louise. As you can see it is still iced over but still lovely. Truly an amazing sight.

Our driver/guide to Lake Louise (far left in the picutre wearing the blue jacket) grew up in the Northwest Territories of Canada and has traveled all over the world. So when he polled the guests on the bus he would comment on whether he had been to New Zealand, Australia, Brussels, UK, etc.

He was very knowledgeable and respectful of life outdoors. For example he talked about how bears generally avoid humans but are very quiet. It is important to not get too close or surprise them. One morning he was going out to his truck and when he got in he realized that a bear was about 4 feet away near a wood pile. Thankfully the brown bear just wandered away.
Boarding the Rocky Mountaineer train the next morning


The Rocky Mountaineer was focused on pampering the guests. Not only were the seats very comfortable but they fed us well. Top picture was Breakfast and Lunch picture below that. Since I was on the Red Leaf service (lowest level) our meals were cold but still excellent.

Wine and beer served in addition to coffee, tea, juice and soft drinks. A couple from Australia next to me were impressed and pleased by the beer options.

Yes, I was probably the youngest guest in our train car. I was lucky that the companion seat next to me was empty. Fortunate to be assigned a seat on the right side of the train which had the best views. Saw a grizzly bear, a brown bear, white tail and mule deer, Big Horn sheep, and bald eagles in addition to the scenery.

Mountain snow melt filled the streams

Brandi (above) waiting for the lift to be positioned so assist a couple passengers onto the train.

Brandi was our hostess in our train car. She was from Vancouver and loved the opportunities the train offered her. She was as curious as us to see the wildlife even after 4 years on the train. She shared history, stories and much humor. An impressive person.

Sadly there are not many other photos. The new camera I purchased failed after receiving a hit while in the train vestibule.

No comments: