The first Kindle was too expensive and I was still in love with owning hard copy books. The problem was that the space domands of storing my collection (and moving it was no fun either). Decided to try an ereader to see if it could help curb the storage problem. So a Kindle 2 was purchased and was amazed at how pleasant it was to read on the device and it could hold multiple books! Thankfully the Kindle 3 (now called Kindle Keyboard) was announced during my 30 day return period. Ordered the newer version and held onto my Kindle 2 as long as possible before the free 30 day return period. A little nervous that the new model would not be as good. Surprise! it was better and remains my favorite Kindle device.
Since that time I have also purchased tablets and smartphones. The Kindle app is always one of the first apps installed (actually the second one - after a virus/malware scanner app). The sync feature makes switching from device to device wonderful. I tend to have different books on different devices since I regularly read 2 or 3 books interchangeably (meaning I read them concurrently over the course of a day or week).
Electronic devices tend to fade away and there have been signs that my Kindle 3/Keyboard would leave me all too soon. Prefer a non-touch screen ereader so was not impressed by the Kindle Paperwhite although the built in light would be nice. However the announcement of the Kindle Voyage caught my attention and was ordered as soon as it was announced.
Read the reviews while waiting on delivery and began to doubt my purchase. But wait - try it before you decide. So I waited for delivery. It arrived on release date and...
IMMEDIATE DISAPPOINTMENT
It felt ALL WRONG in the hands. The edges felt sharp. The screen lighting was not evenly and completely distributed (a problem the Paperwhite still has). The “PagePress sensors” felt sluggish and was not as satisfactory as true buttons. And you still had to use the touch screen for many functions.
Yes, the screen is good but for the price paid I had to give up a LOT. No audio capability (mp3, TTS or Audible), no Kindle Active Content apps (I liked having a calendar on my K3), full web browser, and still only 4 Gb of storage with no option to add more. I paid $189 for the original Kindle 3/Keyboard 3G but the Voyage basic Wi-Fi model is $199 and the 3G version is $289.
My disappointment was so great that I immediately boxed up the Voyage to return the next day.
My recommendation is that for the features offered the Voyage Wi-Fi should be priced $149 and the 3G model $199.
No comments:
Post a Comment