Every spring the geese and ducks return. Over the past month I have seen one duck several times. One morning I let the dog out and he spotted a female duck at the end of my driveway. I told him to "leave it" and he looked but did not bark and did not move toward the duck. After a few moments of mutual admiration my dog returned to me and we went indoors (where I praised him for his good behavior).
Another morning I noticed a female duck on the walkway outside my home. Since I had seen signs of an animal nesting in the mulch by the building foundation I thought she may have been exploring the area or maybe had a nesting spot nearby.
Today my dog found egg shells so I can only hope that her ducklings have hatched and that we may soon see them.
This reminds me of other topics for the Alphabet game - names of baby animals or animals you have seen.
During a recent visit with friends we were in the car and the 11-year old was told by her parents to put away the electronic toy. Since we still had some distance to travel I mentioned that sometimes when I am in a long, boring meeting that I play the Alphabet game -- where I give myself a topic and name something for each letter of the alphabet. Soon we were all playing the game. She was very good at animals, especially aquatic species and a champ at naming cartoons/ TV characters (her chosen category). I occasionally stumped her with a name of a TV cartoon I had watched as child (Jonny Quest worked great for Q) but some older cartoons were familar thanks to cable television.
Pick a topic and play the game with your family, friends. or quietly during a long, boring meeting.
No comments:
Post a Comment