Recently visited Fernandina Beach, Florida. This was a first visit but perhaps more visits will be possible in the coming years. It is a lovely community in northeast Florida. While it has a tourist season it is not just a tourist spot. There is a real town and community in Fernandina Beach.
One can rent a house, stay in a resort or condo or chain hotel, but there are also many bed & breakfast inns as well. Although I was visiting off-season and could have gotten a very good rate at one of the hotels or even one of the resorts. I chose to stay at the Blue Heron Inn (http://ameliaislandblueheroninn.com/).
Blue Heron Inn
It is a beautiful inn located close to the historic downtown area. The owners (Julie & David) did a fantastic job in the restoration of the former Ash Street Inn (I think that is what it was called many years ago). The heart pine floors are beautifully refinished and the decor is both beautiful and tasteful. It is graceful and comfortable. Plus Julie's breakfast meals are lovely to view as well as delicious and filling.
Glass in door of Blue Heron Inn
It was so easy to walk to many sights and to the heart of downtown. Dining options are plentiful and I highly recommend Lulu's for seafood.
After driving 2 days straight it was very nice to be able to walk around the tree lined streets and view the well restored Victorian houses and visit the various shops.
On your first day out the Trolley Tour is a great way to be introduced to the area. Trolley Dave (owner and the guide on my tour) is enthusiastic about his adopted home (20+ years in Fernandina Beach) and provides information both historical yet humorous manner. Based on his comments I made a point of going to both Fort Clinch and American Beach (more on that later) and was glad I did. There is also an excellent walking tour and for those interested a ghost tour.
On another day I decided to drive to the different state parks and beaches. Amelia Island Beach was a great place to walk and collect seashells. Fort Clinch has both history (with regular Civil War re-enactments) and a well-maintained environment, as well as a half-mile wharf. Note: The fisherman that day were catching striped trout.
While I enjoyed walking along the windy coastline on the well-constructed wharf I realized that I am not really a beach person. I like looking at the water but prefer to view it from a comfortable distance on land (and not on the beach). That surprised me but is good to note for the future.
Driving around one also sees many oak trees draped with Spanish Moss. There are also several varieties of other trees, shrubs, and flowers as well as a diverse bird population.
My time was limited (due to funds rather than time) but I enjoyed the people and the area of Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island. I wish them all well.
One can rent a house, stay in a resort or condo or chain hotel, but there are also many bed & breakfast inns as well. Although I was visiting off-season and could have gotten a very good rate at one of the hotels or even one of the resorts. I chose to stay at the Blue Heron Inn (http://ameliaislandblueheroninn.com/).
Blue Heron Inn
It is a beautiful inn located close to the historic downtown area. The owners (Julie & David) did a fantastic job in the restoration of the former Ash Street Inn (I think that is what it was called many years ago). The heart pine floors are beautifully refinished and the decor is both beautiful and tasteful. It is graceful and comfortable. Plus Julie's breakfast meals are lovely to view as well as delicious and filling.
Glass in door of Blue Heron Inn
It was so easy to walk to many sights and to the heart of downtown. Dining options are plentiful and I highly recommend Lulu's for seafood.
After driving 2 days straight it was very nice to be able to walk around the tree lined streets and view the well restored Victorian houses and visit the various shops.
On your first day out the Trolley Tour is a great way to be introduced to the area. Trolley Dave (owner and the guide on my tour) is enthusiastic about his adopted home (20+ years in Fernandina Beach) and provides information both historical yet humorous manner. Based on his comments I made a point of going to both Fort Clinch and American Beach (more on that later) and was glad I did. There is also an excellent walking tour and for those interested a ghost tour.
On another day I decided to drive to the different state parks and beaches. Amelia Island Beach was a great place to walk and collect seashells. Fort Clinch has both history (with regular Civil War re-enactments) and a well-maintained environment, as well as a half-mile wharf. Note: The fisherman that day were catching striped trout.
While I enjoyed walking along the windy coastline on the well-constructed wharf I realized that I am not really a beach person. I like looking at the water but prefer to view it from a comfortable distance on land (and not on the beach). That surprised me but is good to note for the future.
Driving around one also sees many oak trees draped with Spanish Moss. There are also several varieties of other trees, shrubs, and flowers as well as a diverse bird population.
![]() |
| Talbot State Park |
![]() |
| Amelia Island State Park and Beach |


















No comments:
Post a Comment